Where – Meet at The Meadows in Edinburgh, 11.30am 25th April – SAVE THE DATE
Why – To cycle to the top of the High Street and then down as a mass rally to the Scottish Parliament building at Holyrood.
The Pedal On Parliament Website expresses the reason for this very well –
“Cycling should be the obvious solution for many of Scotland’s ills – as we have long said in our manifesto. Report after report after report has shown that cycling improves people’s health, cuts congestion, reduces pollution, boosts the economy, and generally provides returns on investment unparalleled by any other form of transport. But these benefits won’t come about just through a bit of training and encouragement. All the research shows that most people won’t cycle unless they have the conditions to do it in that are safe and, just as importantly, in which they feel safe – especially if they have a family. That takes real and sustained investment. It can be done – but it takes political will. So far Scotland’s politicians have done the bare minimum to invest in cycling. We need you to come out and tell your elected representatives that’s not good enough. Together, let’s ask them to see sense and make Scotland a cycle friendly country.”
What is needed –
- Proper funding for cycling.
- Design cycling into Scotland’s roads.
- Slower speeds where people live, work and play
- Integrate cycling into local transport strategies
- Improved road traffic law and enforcement
- Reduce the risk of HGVs to cyclists and pedestrians
- A strategic and joined-up programme of road user training
- Improved statistics supporting decision-making and policy
Download the manifesto from the link above and add your voice on the day. Please write to your MP’s – especially as the elections loom closer – Now is the time to make your voice heard and ask for critical investment in an appropriate all transport infrastructure.